Skip to main content

Feed Me Lies

Forget the truth;
just feed me lies,
'cause lies are all I have to hold onto
now that that truth is that you're gone.

Who went and told you
you could leave
when I was not done needing you?
I'm not strong enough alone!

Who will save me now from myself?
This tortured heart will pull me under.
I'm drowning in myself
and there's nowhere to hide.

How cruel this joke
that says that I need your help
to get over you!
Will I ever laugh again?

When I was young, you told me:
"Want it bad enough
and you can have anything!"
All I'm wanting now is you!

Who will save me now from myself?
This tortured heart will pull me under.
I'm drowning in myself
and there's nowhere to hide.

One day, maybe, I won't need you
standing beside me holding hands.
But that doesn't mean I won't want you still!
There's so much doubt in this head of mine
and my heart isn't quite ready to find
a way out of it on my own.

Who will save me now from myself?
From myself?

**

I wrote this song while struggling with my father's death last December. It was super cathartic to get these thoughts on paper, and even better to vent my emotions in song.

From this song came an entire songwriting partnership with my long-time friend, Shaun. Not to toot my own horn, but we've got some great stuff. LIKE us on Facebook and we'll reward you with more tracks. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!