Skip to main content

words are inadequate

write write write
in hopes that something will flow out
other than the sewage that's filling my mind these days
winter -- or whatever this in-between time that the calendar
doesn't actually allow to be called "winter" because it's not official --
pushes me toward self-criticism and self-loathing
and i'm broken more than usual because of this crushing loss
so i can't rebound like i should
there's no voice of reason telling my inner critic to shut up
and i have lost my bearings and i don't know which way is up
or if i'm just going to keep drowning here
waiting for the sun to return.

the only thing i can do to retain some semblance of realism
is to distract myself from the heartache and heart break
but are these lies keeping me from feeling what i need to feel
keeping me from going through this tunnel of darkness
i don't know how to grieve
because i can't say goodbye
and i refuse because he isn't gone
but he's gone from this world and i just can't accept that yet.

how does this work?
i say i miss you
i say i'll always love you
i try to come to grips with this absence you've left
and trying isn't doing anything
and those days when i don't think about you hardly at all
i feel so damn guilty afterward
like i should be mourning with every breath
like i should be standing still to feel the fullness of my loss
and i do that and i don't feel any better
i'm reminded how much i miss you and
how i didn't understand sorrow until i didn't have you to soothe my pain
i know i can't stand still and
i know i can't cry every second
and i know i can't hurt with every cell of my being
or can i? because i do and i have and i will forever.
there's no fix for what's broken
because there's no bringing you back.

words are inadequate
and i try to be so damn erudite
when it hurts and there's nothing more to it.
i never understood how someone could walk forward
when memories and pain were pulling him back
and maybe i never will
but i'm still on this world
and i have to live your legacy
because you gave me life
and i have to do something with it
and sometimes i feel like i'm wasting air
and sometimes i feel like i'm wasting potential
and sometimes i feel like there's so much more
but i can't make myself move
when i'm stuck thinking about how much i miss you
but the memories keep me going at the same time they hold me here
and i don't know what to say or do or feel
but i miss you.
and i love you always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!