Skip to main content

66

3148666666688986669

That was a little poem my dog Kara wrote, slamming her paw on the keyboard to try to get my attention. I obliged, giving her a little scratch under the chin. She's dozing off now.

I need a little inspiration to jump start my brain today. (It seems that as my mood swings from melancholia to joy, my creative well dries up a bit.) I turn today to The One-Minute Writer, who challenges writers to consider weird and awkward dates. I can think of two such dates, though I'm unsure one minute will be enough time to discuss ONE. Oh well; here goes.

...

my parents didn't trust him
because i met him online
and perhaps i shouldn't have either
but that is looking back
and looking forward to our potential future
there was no room for fear
no time to hold back

so he took me from the safety of my home
to a pool hall of all places
a / dark haven for dark things.
the setting should have been my first clue --
but i was seventeen and hadn't tasted the world
so its shadows intrigued me
and our flirtation kept me from thinking too hard

i can't remember where we went from there
a movie theater
a room underground
where sunlight couldn't penetrate the walls?
but the next few years tried to steal my light
and almost succeeded
but he wasn't for me

i was bitter when things ended
blamed him for changing me
and for refusing to change himself
but i see now we both behaved badly,
cursing one another
for being two different, too different.
we're happier apart

... [play up the darkness element]

The slash was the one minute mark, BTW. I feel like I need to mention the other awkward date while we're on the topic. (I owe you for missing yesterday after all.)

...

as we sat down in the booth
our eyes struggled to meet
at the same time they ached to look away.
we had shared long glances three months now;
it was too soon to attach meaning to that --
wasn't it?

we exchanged small chit-chat about the menu
and negligible details of work and school
but it proved unimportant
and the delay only made our words more necessary.
"i know it's soon but i feel...
"i feel silly saying this but...

it was so proper, so diplomatic.
in another era, our guardians might have done it for us.
but it was our responsibility
to put aside the romance
and say the word that had grown so quickly:
Love.

once we'd said the words
a time and again,
the tension dissipated
and we returned to our romance
and our menus.
our appetite for each other still grows today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!