Skip to main content

Doyenne

at work i've quadrupled the tenure of many of my peers
and my experience shows
but outside the four walls of my workplace
i am naive as a mute child.
i try to learn by observing
but sometimes i find myself lacking in action
i am happy, it's true
and i've seen some of the world that lies beyond my small sphere
but i know there's more
and i feel like i need to do more
to know more.
perhaps i should start by standing back from this desk
and walking somewhere, anywhere, for a few hours.
but then i'll just be lost in the big world
and my laundry will still be unfolded
and my dishes will still be unwashed
and i will still have questions.
is it truly valid to get your answers second-hand?
sometimes i wonder at how much we take as truth
without having any real evidence other than
someone's assumed authority on the topic.
but is there truly any way to know the world on your own terms
without using with someone else's lexicon in its creation?
"you must stand for something
or you'll fall for anything"
but what if i'm standing on the wrong something
and the "anything" alternative is what i should be centered on?
does duty block my path to truth?
these accepted roles we live in --
do they forbid our search for something more?
i cannot keep my nose out of a book
but i feel like these pages are confining
and that no matter how many words
and no matter how many writers
i will always be incomplete
until i find my own voice
but i fear this voice is as elusive as

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!