Skip to main content

clone

duplicated self:
we do not share the same improprieties.
to ignore and set aside darker desires,
to bury discordant feelings
to disobey urges of the id:
these are my duties.
but these sanctions and prohibitions 
are not your own.

pursue your urgent urges
chase him down dark alleys
and bring him the light
your light.
sate unsanctioned appetites
because no duties and responsibilities
hold you down.
darker, ever darker.

yes, i know this is no way to live
but i only want you to live vicariously
and let you fade away.
because not even the worst version of myself
could survive on darkness alone.
who's the darker one of us
if i'm content to let you kill yourself off?
but the truth is...

without the sanctions
without the broken commitments
you would be happy and free
to pursue your acceptable urges
and make him your own.
and i would be forever barred
from breaking and disobeying
and pursuing my own darkness.

you would keep me from myself
so you will remain the impossibility you are.
i refuse to give you life
because it would mean death to my fantasies
and i cannot see them wane.
so i am content to let my mind travel through possibilities
and dark alleys.
my imagined self allows my true self to thrive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!