Skip to main content

Stitch

I always go over the one minute time frame, and even that's not enough to flesh out my ideas. But I suppose the point of the One-Minute Writer is to get you writing in the first place. (Any desire to continue doing so after the buzzer goes off is a happy addition.) The prompt was "stitch".

a stitch in time saves nine they say
nine stitches are more than one
but putting quality before quantity is key

my mom used to sew outfits when i was small
i remember one in particular that i wore to the zoo in oklahoma
(though i suppose the pictures do the remembering
so i can't claim credit for memorizing my past footsteps)
the outfit was shorts and a tank top made of a cotton blend
the fabric depicted ice cream cones, strawberry flavor
melting down the side of the cone
i don't think i ever wore the outfit again
(not even to an ice cream social)
and while there's no picture to confirm my suspicion
my embarrassment at the photos suggests that
it was a sibling's insults that caused the ice cream outfit
to melt to the ground
never to be picked up again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!