Skip to main content

Rainy Thoughts

I find that the rain affect my perspective -- as if I see everything from knee-deep in water...rather than as an observer at the top of a precipice. Nature brings me back into myself...that is to say that it frees me to look in. Yes, I admire the majestic beauty of a powerful thunderstorm; however, it only provides so much intrigue when I am trapped inside or on my porch. Much more interesting in hindsight -- in seeing the change it has effected. So here I am, looking in...and what do I see? A woman attempting to gain her footing despite the lingering influence of adolescence. A woman who knows the key to success is confidence and the grease that turns the lock is risk...but still cannot avoid her apprehensive nature so long coddled. The rain has a musicality that is both calming and invigorating -- I ache to join in its song, but cannot find the words. Sometimes I feel so in tune with the world around me, the world coursing through me...and then it's suddenly gone and I am stumbling... Perhaps if I am to learn anything from Nature it is that consistency is a fallacy...just as elusive as a rain schedule that doesn't conflict with my needs and plans...just as elusive as a ceaseless habit, an unfailing self-confidence. Who am I? I haven't a clue. But perhaps I am whoever I need to be -- rainy weather me may never meet sunny day me. But this rift I feel is in my best interest -- to be bisected may be by design.

[undated but probably in 2006-7]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich

Too afraid to stand and fight; Too much pride to fly away. Cowardice: immobilize Egos lacking skill to play! Games of conflict can’t be played By those afraid to deal a hand. Flightless birds avoid their call Ostriching heads in the sand.  Thanks, Trifecta for the prompt, which requested an animal name be used as a verb. I figured I might as well ignore the dictionary and make my own...flightless birds have always intrigued me, anyhow.

Masquerade

I suppose I should feel fortunate. I've been with the same man for six years, I've worked for the same company for nine years, I've lived in the same state for ten years. But my college diploma says "English" and my job screams "Business" and I fear that this life I’ve built is Stagnation masquerading as Stability. I’m not planning on doing something drastic like running off to join the circus or the Scientologists or anything, but maybe I should just stop planning for a change. Stop standing still. Do something spontaneous. I am too young to feel this old. --- Thanks for the 100 Word Song prompt, Lance (of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog ). This brief introspection was inspired by Elvis Costello's "Brilliant Mistake".

Hunger strikes

I'm feeling creative but needing direction. Haiku Heights prompts writers to ponder LUNCH (a topic that is never far from my mind). i. hunger's open mouth devours all self control; succumb to more cake. ii. enhance your days with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage. settle not for bland. iii. closed eyes, open mouth there is joy in the unseen. tastebuds, awaken!